Timespan: 30/11/2011 – 30/11/2012
Donor: European Commission (Western Balkans and Turkey Civil Society Facility: Partnership actions- Empowerment of Women)
Applicant: Fenomena Association (Kraljevo / Serbia)
Partners: Local Democracy Center (Niš / Serbia); ANIMA – Center for Women’s and Peace Education (Kotor / Montenegro); Local Democracy Agency Mostar (Mostar / Bosnia and Herzegovina); The Kvinna till Kvinna Foundation (Stockholm / Sweden).
Description: This Project gives the opportunity for reform of the local self-government for the contribution to the development of participative democracy on local level, in order to include interests and participation
of those who have experienced poverty, social exclusion, marginalisation and, in general, it contributes to more efficient and more egalitarian system of local governance. Women are needed in formal decision making bodies so that the women’s group interests would be represented in an appropriate manner. As women and men have historically different experiences in different segments of life, contribution of women to decision making is necessary for improvement and revitalisation of democracy in the public sphere of action. Creation of local policy of equality of “vulnerable“ groups is the first step towards the increase of visibility of a female role in the decision making process and a throne for one of the most important parts of development of participative democracy on local level.
General Objective: Contribution to the development of policies, measures and budgeting for the advancement of gender equality in Serbia, Montenegro and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Specific Objectives: To create the conditions for the development of policies, measures and budgeting for the promotion of gender equality by developing Local Action Plans for the implementation of the European Charter for Equality in participating cities and municipalities.
The main results of the project are:
– Introductory Conference “Equality between Women and Men at the Local Level”, where representatives of cities and municipalities participating in the project are represented and a Cooperation Protocol is signed; will be held on February 28, 2012 in Kraljevo. This conference is educational and informative and aims to inform participants about the values, content and implementation of the European Charter. Important representatives from local communities, institutions relevant to gender equality at national level of participating countries, Association of participating cities and municipalities, CSOs and European partners from Sweden, Italy and the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR) will participate.
– Team training on strategic planning of LAP development on gender equality (Local Action Plan) of the cities of Kraljevo, Mostar, Nis (Mediana Municipality) and Kotor Municipality. The training is scheduled to last for two days at the end of March 2012. The venue is Kotor.
– The signing of the European Charter on Equality between Women and Men at the local level is taking place in all four cities participating in the project: Kraljevo, Niš (Mediana Municipality), Mostar and Kotor. The signing of the Charter is planned by the project in the first quarter of the year.
– Research and analysis of gender sensitive data relevant to LAP design
– Meetings with representatives of local authorities regarding the composition of the LAP development team
– Development of LAP (April to September 2012)
– Public debate on LAP
– Final conference in Mostar, at which stakeholders from cities and municipalities that participated in the project will have the opportunity to exchange experiences on the LAP design process and all project activities (October 2012).
Watch the movie and find more information about the project: SHORT FILM