Communication Officer in Mostar (BiH)
Position: Communication Officer / full-time
Starting date: 01.04.2022.
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension (including 3 months probation period)
Country Programme: Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH)
Please note this position is open for citizens of BiH or those with valid work permits.
About LDA Mostar:
Since its establishment in November 2004, Local Democracy Agency Mostar acts as a locally registered non-profit, nongovernmental organization, with the support of its partners and co-operation with other Agencies and the Association of Local Democracy Agencies (ALDA). It is precisely co-operation both on local and regional level that has enabled numerous activities and projects useful for the development of the local community and its inclusion into processes at the regional level. Activities of LDA Mostar, which aim to create a more active citizenry on one side, and transparent and accountable local authorities on the other, are focused towards development of a modern democratic society. These activities entangle every segment of life of the local community and offer a possibility of improving the living standard of all categories of the society by directly influencing concrete changes.. More information is available on LDA Mostar website, www.ldamostar.org
About the role:
In August 2021, a new project titled “Project Mostar – spaces to renovate and rejuvenate” financed by that aims to improve the use of public space and public discourse in the City of Mostar has been launched. People in need leads a consortium of international and local organizations that includes Everyday Peace Indicators, LDA Mostar, OKC Abrasevic, and Nesto Vise to implement the 36-month long project.
LDA Mostar is looking for an experienced Communication Officer who will be responsible for ensuring high-quality communication and visibility activities of the Project Mostar. This entails work on coordination of amplification efforts within the Project. The position is based in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement and update Mostar Project Communication Strategy in close collaboration with Overall Communication Officer and partner Communication Officers and Community officers, and with support from Communication and Advocacy Coordinator (CAC) based in Belgrade.
- Coordinate visibility and communication activities for agreed project activities of LDA Mostar primarily and in close collaboration with Overall Communication Officer and partner Communication Officers and Community officers, and with support from Communication and Advocacy Coordinator (CAC) based in Belgrade.
- Identify stories and good examples coming out of the Project Mostar to amplify its effect in local, national and regional media outlets. Employ engaging storytelling technics and tools.
- Organize promotional, communications and other key events for the Project and secure the presence of the media. This may include acting as moderator.
- Monitor and evaluate communication outputs and results, including collecting and analysing press clipping, social media statistic in collaboration with Overall Communication Officer and partner Communication Officers and Community officers.
- Closely cooperate with LDA Mostar project staff.
- Participate in Building (her/his) capacities and grantees on communication such as capturing and disseminating information/case studies.
- Participate in the production of case studies, press releases, blog pieces, articles and other communications material about the Project and its beneficiaries directly in the field or in close cooperation with the Project staff and partners’ Project Managers, Communication Officers and Community Officers.
- Creating and sharing engaging content for social media accounts regularly in collaboration with Overall Communication Officer, partner Communication Officers and CAC.
- Create short videos and photos, manage the photo archive of the project and assist in the production of videos and photos prepared internally or by external contractors.
- Share collected materials with Overall Communication Officer, Project Managers and CAC on a regular basis.
- Network with journalists and actively pitch stories to local, national and with the support of Overall Communication Officer, Project Managers and CAC regional news outlets and journalists, providing information about the activities and coordinating between the media and project staff, and accompanying journalists (national and international) on field visits.
- Maintain a journalist contact list.
- Collaborate with Community officer to develop and implement approach and tools boosting community engagement in activities and reaching new audiences
- Collaborate to design user-centred digital services engaging citizens and stakeholders for the development of innovative activities
- Assess community needs/preference and support tailoring citizen and stakeholders consultation and outreach activities around these
- Organize and manage e-facilitation activities tailored to target groups’ needs
- Ensure the visibility of the Project, project partners and the donor is at all times in compliance with the provided guidelines, Communication Strategy and established agreements, in collaboration with the Project staff.
- Create and update information materials (brochures, leaflets, annual reports, etc.) about the Project results, in collaboration with the Project team and CAC.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism or other relevant course
- 3+ years’ experience in a similar position ideally with an NGO
- Growing experience in public relations, communications and tools
- Ability to create and implement a communications and advocacy strategy
- Knowledge of social media and copywriting
- Excellent ability to write, take photos and communicate orally with accuracy and professionalism
- Profound understanding of social dynamics and tension triggers in local communities, especially in Mostar, and the ability to communicate in cultural and gender sensitive inclusive manner
- Proficiency in English, B/H/S required and in any other regional languages preferred
- Work in team
LDA Mostar offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing civil society and development organization
- Salary and benefits according to project Salary Scale (gross salary approx. 2.400.00 BAM) following legislations of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 20 days of paid leave annually
- E-learning courses, webinars, training possibilities
The vacancy will be closed on 17th of March 2022.
Are you interested in this position?
Send us your CV and short cover letter in English on the following e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.